Do you know what are the chemical burdens to our body?
Do you think that things that we use topically are less or more harmful than the food that we consume? The answer is it may be more harmful.
You may be surprised to learn that substances that we breath in or absorb through the skin may go directly to our blood stream if the substances are very tiny, therefore affecting our body system if the substances are harmful.
Whereas food that we eat at least will go thru our stomach to let gastric juice to kill the germs for us first. Hence, always beware of the harmful chemical ingredients in our house hold items.
1. Fluoride - Found in toothpaste and drinking water. Research has revealed that fluoride increases cancer risk.
2. Formaldehyde - In disinfectants, shower gels, body lotions. Classified as a human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
3. Lead and Mercury - In whitening skin care and toys. Could harm nerves, digestion, urination, endocrine system, bones and others. Lead in placenta and breast milk can harm fetuses and infants.
4. Nonylphenol - In cosmetics, plastics, pesticides. Could cause low sperm counts and malformed genitalia.
5. Perchloroethylene (perc) - In dry cleaning solvents. Linked to increased risk of certain cancers.
6. Phenol - In plastics, paints and some medicines. Could harm brain, nose, throat, lungs and heart.
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - Found in Shampoos, toothpaste, foaming bath oil. In 1983, the Journal of American College of Toxicology reported that animals exposed to SLS experienced eye damage, depression, laboured breathing, diarrhoea, severe skin irritation and corrosion and death.
8. Triclosan - Found in toothpaste, hand wash, shower gels, toys, clothing. Research from the US shows that triclosan mixed with chlorinated water releases chloroform. When absorbed chloroform thru the skin, it may cause depression, liver disorder and even cancer.
9. Turpertine - In show polish, paint thinner. Breathing or swallowing turpentine causes kidney and bladder irritation.
10. Vitamin C - Found in whitening skin care. Too much cause redness, swelling and sensitive reaction.
In fact, many times, unknowingly, the infants are already exposed to chemical pollution in the womb!!
The EWG (The Environmental Working Group) has shown a study's result that 232 different chemicals in the cord blood of 10 babies who were exposed to the substances while still in the womb.
The study tested for chemicals found in nearly every American household. The findings represented the first reported detections in American newborns for 21 contaminants. Among them:
1. Bisphenol A (BPA) - to make polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins that are made into hard plastic infant formula bottles, water bottles, metal food cans, safety helmets, glasses, TV, computer, CDs. BPA is linked to cancer, cognitive and behavioural impairment, endocrine system disruption, reproductive and cardiovascular system abnormalities, diabetes, asthma, and obesity.
2. Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) - fire retardant for circuit board. Interferes with thyroid function and may inhibit the production of T cells to fight viruses and bacteria.
3. Perfluorobutanoic Acid (PFBA or C4) - used to make non-stick, grease-, stain- and water-resistant coatings for consumer products. It is linked to cancer, birth defects and infertility.
4. 8 Previously undetected polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) - used in industrial lubricants, coolants and insulating materials. According to the US government and academic scientists, PCBs have been shown to damage the immune system, disrupt the endocrine system and developing brain.
To date, EWG studies have found out 414 industrial chemicals, pollutants, and pesticides in 186 people from newborns to grandparents.
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has only tested about 200 of its inventory of more than 80000 chemicals in the market and has banned only 5!!
It takes more than food safety to be healthy!!
We have a choice indeed to safeguard our family's health by choosing the personal care and household products that are safe.
Be a wise consumer. Always check the ingredient label upon getting any product in the market. Make sure at least it's free of harmful chemicals as listed above.
"Eat Healthy, Feel Heathy, Be Healthy!"